AJAXAFY-PAGE-START

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

video.Maru and polygeek.com weirdness

Robert Scroble of Scrobleizer.com had a post about this web site where Dan Florio provides all these custom flash video interfaces for people to look at/use. The link in his blog post to you to the following URL:


I've been thinking about a video interface on the Movieland Directory, I've been looking around for information on this so naturally I was interested.

Well, I went there and I went, "Where's the content?" The headings are there, the side bar navigation is there, the comment posting at the bottom of the page is there... but where is the content? I went to different pages on the site and they were all the same!

Below is a composite image of the video.Maru page (I did not include all the user posted comments at the bottom):


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 12:11 PM , Blogger polyGeek said...

Orville, thank you very much for taking the time to trouble shoot this. I'll do what I can to figure this out with you.

I'm looking over the code now and I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks,
polyGeek

 
At 1:03 PM , Blogger polyGeek said...

Orville, It looks like what is happening has something to do with a tag not getting closed somewhere. Since the video.Maru navigation is really far down on the page it must be pushed by something. Could you try to select the text in the content area, that you can't see? I'm trying to figure out what's in there even though you can't see it.

There are lots of -li- tags that Wordpress is messing up. I'm not sure if there will be anything I can do about that.

Thanks again for your help,
dan

 
At 1:37 PM , Blogger Orville Chomer said...

polygeek, so is it messing up for everyone now?

I definitely think it is some closing tag issue. I just noticed at the bottom of the page how the left edge of the footer doesn't match up.

But, my assumption is that it is mal-formed HTML that you have edited in HTML mode. My assumption is based on the fact that although the CSS may be different for site to site, the fundamental HTML for all Wordpress sites (the basic tag structure) will be the same. I've an old Wordpress blog that I went to a minute ago and everything displays just fine (it is using their service not an copy on my own server).

At first I thought the content was missing altogether, but, after checking the source, I saw that the content does exist after all. Of course that isn't useful if I can't see it! :P

I'll take a bit of a look at the html and see if I can spot the problem.

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger polyGeek said...

@Orville, I plowed through all the HTML errors that TidyHTML told me about and fixed the ones that can be fixed.

I ended up hard coding the page nav - across the top. The HTML that Wordpress wrote was all messed up.

I would appreciate it if you could take a peek and let me know if you see the content now.

Oh, it's only IE6 that seems to have problems rendering the page. I use FF2 and IE7. Looks good in both browsers.

thx,
dan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

AJAXAFY-PAGE-END